Ofu Beach

Monday, November 28, 2011

Faites Votre Propre

{Make Your Own}


I read Patagonia's blog "The Cleanest Line". For their Black Friday issue they posted an ad in the New York Times saying "Don't Buy This Jacket", in hopes of bringing attention to the issues of mass consumerism in our country and its social & environmental impacts. While a responsible idea, it does seem a bit oxymoronic that a retail clothing and gear company is trying to bring about awareness to this issue...clever marketing scheme? Perhaps, but it does draw my attention to the things in life that have been made out to be more complicated than they actually are just so manufactures can earn a pretty penny!

Lately, in an effort to save money as well as learn to appreciate our many blessings,  we have been trying to "de-stuff" our lives and really only purchase the necessities. I thought we were doing a pretty decent job, but then I got to thinking about all of the "stuff"(as well as their costs) necessary just to run daily life; clothes, laundry detergent, groceries, blah blah blah! I sort of got a little depressed thinking about how dependent I am on manufacturers of the products I use...when I thought, "Why should I be?" So I decided to do something about it!

Here are some ideas:





{Make your own Juice}

















{Hunt, Clean and Cook your own Thanksgiving Turkey or Holiday meal}





















{Craft Usefully & Recycle: I made my own Jewelry Tree out of an old lamp base}




{Make your own Laundry Detergent}

No comments:

Post a Comment