Ofu Beach

Thursday, May 19, 2011

Va écologique

Going Green, an ode to whole foods, flea markets and the like.


Unless it's for a field trip type activity I rarely shop at Whole Foods...let's be honest, while the intent is good, the price just isn't easy to swallow and if it really were a "whole foods" should there be a microwavable section? Don't get me wrong, I'm pro whole foods, I just don't think eating them should break the bank...So as much as possible we try to visit the farmers' & flea markets in the area. One of my favorites is the Immokalee State Farmers' Market. It may not be labeled "organic" or come in a nice package; in fact that's rarely the case, but often you can find the freshest & ripest of produce (as well as a variety of other items) at a fair price!



This past weekend we took a Fort Myers wide trip that led to Little Lou's Antique & Flea and the Flea Masters Flea Market. Wow! What an adventure, the folks who frequent or work at flea markets really do have their own culture! I thought it was great and just couldn't get enough. You might not think of it this way, but shopping at places like flea markets & Goodwill stores or even garage sales is a great way to green up your life AND discover some unique finds!










There is a group of ladies down here, who have been my saving grace. Literally! I was about to lose my mind! We had been in Fort Myers for 4 months and I hadn't met a soul, when I happened upon this wonderful group and not only have they challenged me to be a better runner, but we also share recipes and other helpful tips. On a recent run we started discussing the Green Smoothie...really healthy, but the sound of it (to me anyway) does not give off a tasty impression. As a recent purchaser of the Jack Lalanne  Power Juicer (I know I know), I juiced my ingredients instead and made muffins out of the pulp! It was a deelish & hearty too!





I find that "Going Green" is a worthwhile effort. Although it may not be practical all day everyday there are little things we an do each day to make our lives and world just a touch healthier.

Here are some other causes I believe to be worthwhile!


1 comment:

  1. If Jackson is half as cute as Hobie we'll be doing great! I'm not going to lie though. Those muffins look a little scary. I think I'll have to take your word that they're "deelish" :)

    ReplyDelete