Ofu Beach

Friday, April 1, 2011

Lapins et Carottes, Hobie et les crêpes

It's that time of year when everything is bright and fresh! For many of us it breathes new life into our cliche New Year's Resolutions of "losing a few pounds" or "getting healthier", after all if you live in South Florida bikini season has been here for quite some time. If you're anything like me...well, even if you're not like me you more than likely enjoy the occasional pancake. The only problem with the pancake is after you've stuffed yourself with 3 or 4 (or 10 or 12) you feel bloated and uncomfortable, not to mention the fact you're hungry again in 45 minutes. As a mother I am trying to instill good eating habits in Hobie (the kid eats anything so it's not hard). I don't want him to develop a habit of filling up on simple carbs that will just disappear (or worse that won't), but at the same time I want him (and me) to enjoy foods like pancakes! So I have come up with a solution-someone else probably already thought of this and I just happened on it out of desperation- instead of making pancakes out of refined ingredients, why not make them out of whole foods?!

Here's the story- Hobie et les crêpes

Getting towards the end of the week also means getting low on groceries for the Guevara family. One day this week I was rummaging through the lack of breakfast options for the hungry monster in the high chair...I saw celery, spinach, endive (which yuck by the way), potatoes and a whole slew of other useless items. Then I opened what I thought would be an empty produce drawer and there they were bright and beautiful, the answer the Hungry Monster had been waiting for...carrots! I thought to myself,"Ok, I can steam these, cut them up and add them to oatmeal?" Or why not get fancy and blend them together with the oatmeal, throw 'em on the griddle and whammy pancakes?! Honestly it couldn't have worked out better! Hobie loved everything about them and the best part was that he could practice eating finger foods!



















Lapins et Carottes-

Still inspired from my morning victory I decided to carry out the carrot theme for the rest of the day and so was born the bunny I made for Hobie.  Constructed from a Martha Stewart pattern and brought to life with old suiting fabric and embroidery floss, this simple bunny (whom I have dubbed Hobs) adds a lovely hand crafted touch to mass produced mania that is Hobie's toy collection!


No comments:

Post a Comment